,+1962.jpg)
Rose-Lynn Fisher
Mario Giacomelli, La Gente del Sud (People of the South)1962
I love this image for the sense of presence that persists beyond
memory, place and time. The figure of the boy haunts me, like an
apparition or memory in a dimensionless space whose presence there
seems almost random, as though he’s just passing through. His rhythm
seems syncopated in relation to all the women; his face is young and
old; instead of casting a shadow there’s an aura of light around him:
his very being seems less of matter than of spirit; and yet he’s the
only element in focus. Which pops him into now, here. I don’t even
sense him looking at the camera, but at us. Then I’m flipped inside
out, of focus and light, blur and shadow - perhaps he’s the one who
remembers and all the context is the dream. This photograph dissolves
his reality into mine, and leave both open to scrutiny.
No comments:
Post a Comment