
Maxine Helfman
Philip Toledano, unknown title from upcoming book - Days with My Father
This is a piece from a body of work by Philip Toledano soon to be released by Chronicle books (I don't know Philip, so this is not a plug). I have always been a fan of Philip's work, but over the months since I first saw this image, it has stuck with me. So much so- that it was my immediate reaction when I was invited to talk about an image. I am drawn to the quiet power of this image. It is a beautifully tender, empathetic and insightful look at his relationship with his father at the end of his father's life. It has a sense of familiarity that could be our own father, uncle,or brother - and someday- each of us. While some photographers use shock value to make their point- Philip uses dignity, grace and a sense of humor, to share this incredibly personal experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment