.jpg)
Barbara Grover
Sebastiao Salgado, No Title,1970s (from a series created for Doctors Without Borders, Documenting the African Sahel)
There are tons of photos that have made a big impression on me over the years, but when I had to choose one to speak about, I chose one that leaves me speechless. That said, I think this is one of the most powerful photos of Sebastio Salgado – maybe not one of his best technically speaking, but one that has incredible staying power. While this image is frightening and humbling, and reminds me at first glance of a side of beef being dangled in a slaughterhouse rather than a child fighting to survive, it also reminds me of the resilience of the human condition. Perhaps because at first glance it is a bit unclear what is going on in the photo, one spends more time gazing at it. Therefore, I think it fulfills one of the most important roles of photography – to get people to look at, and think about the unthinkable.
This photo exemplifies yet another role of photography – to show how history repeats itself – giving us an opportunity to do things better the next time around. This photo was taken over 25 years ago near Timbuktu in Mali and yet, it could probably be taken today as the region is embarking upon another famine right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment