A Brief History of the "1 Image 1 Minute" Project

This project is a contemporary recreation of Une Image Pour Une Minute, a project originally produced by French director Agnes Varda for presentation on French television in 1983. In Varda's version, a photographic image appeared on television (in-between network programming), and someone--a curator, photographer, or art historian--would speak about the image for one minute.


Here I have asked contemporary photographers, artists, historians, and others to select an image that has significance for them, and write or speak about it for the equivalent of 1 minute. The result is a a compelling and accessible means of gaining insight into other artists’ and photographers’ perspectives. The project is also a way of reactivating photo history, cultural literacy, and of offering a closer look at images than the mere fraction of a second that most contemporary images are afforded.

Dan Finsel


Dan Finsel
Found Image, facebook image, 2009
Back in Minneapolis, my best friend was Marjorie Miller…and… she was going out with Jim Townsend who, I thought was really, really cute. Well, one night we were at this party and Jim and I, we were outside, and we were talking or something… and somehow we started kissing…
…When Marjorie found out about that night, she called me really late…She woke up the whole house, and she was crying, she was hysterical…she kept saying “how could you do that to me, how could you do that”…the part I hate to think about is that I know why I did it…. I did it to break them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Micol Hebron